|Public speaking creates anxiety for most people. Speaking Up Without Freaking Out: 50 Techniques for Confident and Compelling Presenting is an easy-to-read pocket book containing practical anxiety management techniques that are based on scientifically supported theory and evidence.
Readers are encouraged to explore the anxiety management tools through specific “Try This” guidance provided for each technique. After reading this book, readers will be more confident, calm, and competent speakers.
This book is divided into seven chapters:
- Chapter 1 describes speaking anxiety, how it shows itself, its negative effects, and how you can appear less nervous.
- Chapter 2 describes the main theories about why people feel anxious when speaking and, importantly, offers you several specific techniques to reduce speaking anxiety and bolster your confidence.
- Chapter 3 details how you can use your nonverbal presence and voice to not only appear more confident, but also feel more confident.
- Chapter 4 explores http://nosubhealth.com/ how focusing on your audience’s needs and connecting your content to them can reduce your anxiety and make your presentations more compelling.
- Chapter 5 provides techniques and guidance on how to structure your presentations to better help you and your audience remember what you present.
- Chapter 6 teaches how to resist and stop some self-defeating beliefs and behaviors that perpetuate and exacerbate anxiety.
- Chapter 7 addresses how to put all this information to work for you by creating your own Anxiety-Management Plan.
A glossary is included that will explain the more technical, scientific terms found in the book, along with four appendixes:
- Appendix A suggests techniques for managing anxiety that comes from audiences not immediately present for your speech (e.g., conference calls and web presentations).
- Appendix B gives additional suggestions for those who are not native English speakers.
- Appendix C addresses how to feel confident during a question and answer session, while providing clear and concise answers.
- Appendix D discusses two specific techniques/approaches to motivating and persuading your audience.